February 5, 2010

World Maths Day 2010

Natasha, I love your description.  Hope you don't mind, but I'm re-posting it here:

Blogger Natasha said...
i've just visited the site for world's maths day, and the format for playing looks exactly like the format for "playing live" for the american math challenge, due to watching a video that had many screen-shots of lasts year's game. Also though weird thing is that only the first 500 games you play will count for the points.... the rest of the games you play afterward count on some mathometer thing, and each class is only 45 students, the top 20 students i think in each class will only count on the class score to make it fair. So wish our team luck!
February 5, 2010 5:27 PM

That is a great explanation.  I have already entered the information for all of my classes, Mrs. White's math classes, the Geometry class, and Mrs. Creek's 4th period.  I will be entering the rest of the school next week.  I will give our classes their log in information next week, so everyone can start practicing.

I have even more exciting news.  Because of our successes through the MATHCOUNTS program and the American Math Challenge, I was contacted by the World Maths Day team and asked to nominate a student as Worlds Math Day Ambassador for the U.S.A. as some of you already know.  If you look at the site, you will see the 2 Ambassadors for the U.S.A. last year as well as the other countries Ambassadors.  Sixth period today I received his acceptance package.  With his media (meaning the press) preparation package, his new iPOD Touch and iTunes gift card arrived.  I am very excited for him.

We are going to have great fun with the World Maths Day event.

7 comments:

Natasha L Per.4 said...

congratulations whoever it was, and i've also got more information... that malaysia and austrailia are the "big" countries, most of there schools seemed to gotten to the "top" list...........

Eric X. Per. 3 TA said...

Here's an interesting statistic:

In the American Math Challenge, the top scorer was Austin B. with a score of 221380 points.

Then at last year's Wolrd Maths Day, Kaya G, was the champion with 129106 points.

It may sound like Austin B. got a lot more points, but that is what he scored in a week, 7 days. So he only gets about 63252 points in two whole days.

On the other hand, Kaya G. got 129106 points in just 48 hours or less. (Did he sleep?)

I just wanted to point that out...

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

wow you're right eric and also the fact that the first 500 games only count on your score....that's scary....

Mr. Gerson said...

The format this year is different than last year, so you really cannot compare across years.

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

so we should expect different scores this year....ic i think that makes a little more sense....

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

ooh i also see that if we get our login stuff sometime before march first,it says,"You can register and practice from 1 February. No points will count until the official start on March 3 2010." So we can practice playing without gaining any points obviously..

Jordyn C. Per.4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.