April 29, 2011

From Here

We had to close chapter 13 today, because we need to start our CST review.  After the review, we will continue to prepare for the Final Exam.  I reiterate that the Final Exam is not for points.  I have found that around 85% of all students across the years show no change in their understanding from the original chapter examination and the final examination.  However, I will be looking for those few students who now have a level of understanding that exceeds their previous understanding that warrants a change in their previously recorded chapter assessment grade.  Some students continue to work through their difficulties, so I designed the Final Exam to reward them.  This assessment will contain questions from chapters 7 - 13.  Significant improvement will result in the replacement of the previously earned grade.  Historically, this results in an overall change of grade for less than 10% of students, but I believe that those students deserve to be rewarded.  Significant negative change will result in a reduction of grades.  This happens to less than 2% of students.

New this year, Mr. Sheck has authorized me to extend my Final Exam policy to first semester.  I will be reassessing some chapters from first semester.  If I determine that significant growth has occurred, I will now be allowed to make changes to semester one grades that could potentially release a student from summer school or advance them to geometry.

1 comment:

Paige H. Per.4 said...

ummmm...ok. Then if we get a bad grade on the final, then it will affect our semester 1 grade too?