February 17, 2009

Factoring Mixed-Up (CA SS:11.0)

p.284 (1-19:odd)

Remove the Greatest Monomial Factor

If 2 terms,
  • Difference of Two Squares
if 3 terms,
  • Perfect Square Trinomial
  • x^2 + bx + c
  • ax^2 + bx + c
If 4 terms,
  • Factor by Grouping
FACTOR COMPLETELY

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson,

For #13 the problem is x^2+4 and when I check in the back of the book, it says not factorable. But wouldn't the factorization for this problem be....

(x+2)(x+2) or (x+2)^2

What am I doing wrong??

~Micaela Tom
Period 1

Anonymous said...

Micaela, x^2+4 is not a square of a binomial. x^2-4 is, but notx^2+4.so, it is not factorable.


p.s. (x+2)(x+2) is x^2+4x+4.....

hope this helps

Anonymous said...

Micaela,
Number 13 did not have a common factor and it was not a difference of two squares.

Saloni B.
Period 1

Mr. Gerson said...

The second comment was a great explanation. I posted it even though nobody took credit. Who should get credit?

Anonymous said...

oh sorry Mr.Gerson..i accidentally didnt put my name.

Hyun p. per.6