March 19, 2009

Polynomial Long Division (CA SS: 10.0)

p.467 (1, 3, 5, 11, 13*, 17, 21)

*In number 13, you may write a term differently than it is written in the back of the book because of where you put the negative sign. That is fine.

Summaries: Daniel C. (Per. 1), Austin C. (Per. 2), Mandi J. (Per. 3), David F. (Per. 4), Jazzmin P. (Per. 5), Jeff M. (Per. 6).

11 comments:

Potato Man said...

I don't get number 23... Can somebody help?

Austin c.
Per. 2

Potato Man said...

Today our lesson was on simplifying complex rational expressions.
Complex Rational Expression:
2/a+4/a/a+3
There are two methods on simplifying these equations. you can either a) use the reciprocal property to swap the bottom and then the bottom or b) multiply the whole equation by the LCM and simplify.
Method a) (used for fraction on top of another fraction
______a_______
_(a+b)(2a+1)_ = _____a______ __a+b__
___b___ (a+b)(2a+1) * b
a+b
______a______
b(2a+1)
Don't froget to factor and/or cross cancel.

Option b) (Used when there are binomials):

__4-1/x2__ = __x2(4-1/x2)__
2-1/x x(2-1/x)
= __4x2-1__
2x-x
= __(2x+1)(2x-1)__
X(2x-1)
= __2x+1__
x
This is my summery.

*dreamstar* said...

I almost understand number 23... I have the whole thing right except for the 2 and parenthesis around the denominator. Where did that come from? My answer is the same, just without the 2 and ()...

Shiloh S. Per. 3

Potato Man said...

Did you factor? Or did you leave out a 2 somewhere? (I still don't get 23)

Austin C..
Per. 2

Anonymous said...

shiloh! i have the same problem! i don't understand where the 2 came from...

hannah p
per.5

Potato Man said...

Why does nobody post any more?

Austin C.
Per. 2

Mr. Gerson said...

Austin, it is Sunday night.

*dreamstar* said...

I guess I'm just making a weird mistake because I checked again and I'm sure I factored right...

I'll ask Mr. Gerson on Monday! High-five Austin! On the blog on Sunday night! :)

Shiloh S. Per. 3

Anonymous said...

What is tonight's homework? I was in band.

Shreyas T.
P.2

*dreamstar* said...

Shreyas- the homework is page 476 (1,3).

Word problems! Number 1 is easy but I'm having trouble with number 3. When you do it can you help me with setting up an equation or something?

Shiloh S. Per. 3

Anonymous said...

Todays homework is pg 476 #1,3