# 3 and 5 I did them and I ended up with the numerators and denominators switched can someone help me solve either 3 or 5 as an example for me so I can see where I made a mistake? Thanks!
umm Nicole what you are doing wrong is that you have to multiply the fractions with the lowest common denominator, such like the LCD is 40 in 3/8 4/5 x/20. When you multiply with the LCD you will be able to cancel out the denominator in the faction like so: 3/8 * 40/1 , the 8 cancels out leaving you with the answer 15.
x+4/x=-5 LCM=x, so multiply everything by x. x(x+4/x)=x(-5) x^2+4=-5x +5x +5x x^2+5x+4=0 Now you can factor the equation: (x+1)(x+4)=0 x+1=0 x+4=0 -1 -1 -4 -4 x=-1 x=-4
13 comments:
Phewww thanks for posting the homework I forgot to copy it down(: I'll finish it and report back if I have any questions!
how do u do #1 i dont get it..
3/8 + 4/5 = x/20????? i got 40 as the common denominator....help me!!
I tried number one but I can't get it right can someone help?
3/8 + 4/5= x/20
Then I found a common denominator and multiplied the fractions to get the denominators the same
3/8(5) + 4/5(8)= x/20
15/40 + 32/40= 47/40
Then I checked the answer which said 47/2 and I am confused how to get 47/2 PLEASE HELP(:
# 3 and 5 I did them and I ended up with the numerators and denominators switched can someone help me solve either 3 or 5 as an example for me so I can see where I made a mistake?
Thanks!
num. 1
3/8 + 4/5 = x/20
40 is the least common denominator
40(3/8) + 40(4/5) = 40(x/20)
15 + 32 = 2x
47 = 2x
divide by two
x = 47/2
umm Nicole what you are doing wrong is that you have to multiply the fractions with the lowest common denominator, such like the LCD is 40 in 3/8 4/5 x/20. When you multiply with the LCD you will be able to cancel out the denominator in the faction like so: 3/8 * 40/1 , the 8 cancels out leaving you with the answer 15.
yah thats what i got
Thanks Natasha(:
Alright, I was going to ask about #5 but i see that's already answered.... 0.o
I dont get #7 like i know how to get -1 but how did they get -4
Number 7:
x+4/x=-5
LCM=x, so multiply everything by x.
x(x+4/x)=x(-5)
x^2+4=-5x
+5x +5x
x^2+5x+4=0
Now you can factor the equation:
(x+1)(x+4)=0
x+1=0 x+4=0
-1 -1 -4 -4
x=-1 x=-4
So the two solutions are x={-1,-4}.
thank you natasha and eric
it helped me too (:
but im still abit confused on how you get the same denominator and "clear out" the fractions
the "clearing out" is just cross canceling, or using the means extremes property.
Post a Comment