October 5, 2010

Multistep Equations in One Variable (CA SS: 5.0)

Tomorrow's Lesson Check will be a combination of the last two days plus including justifications.  We will do some more problems like the last two days because some people need that.  We will still move forward with Wednesday's planned addition of the justifications.  I have made a new Lesson Check to cover both.

PER 2: p.622 (1-15:all,31-34:all)

PER 4: p.622 (31-40:all)

PER 3, PER 5, and PER 6: 
If you missed 3 or more on problems 1 -12 on today's Lesson Check, do the PER 2 assignment.
If you did NOT miss 3 or more on problems 1 -12 on today's Lesson Check, do the PER 4 assignment.

71 comments:

Kellie B Period 6 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Gerson said...

I erased your comment Abe. First, fix your name. Second, I should not be in your summary.

You need to talk about something you learned or maybe need to learn. There was nothing mathematical in anything you wrote. Let's see something mathematical.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson! For the homework do we label the equations like Given or Addition property of Equality

Mr. Gerson said...

@Kellie still need to fix your display name, including your period.

Mr. Gerson said...

@Cathy justifications are required. Fix your display name. Remove last name and add period.

AlexaW Per.6 said...

For the people who missed less than 3 they have to do the word ones?

Mr. Gerson said...

@Alexa I did not say 3 total problems. Make sure you reread what I wrote. Plus, I read the names of who in your class was doing which assignment.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson. How do you change your display in your gmail account?
Where do you go?

Kent Y. Period 4 said...

Journal entry: 10/5/10

Today in class, we had a lesson check. I learned that for word problems, you should carefully read it to make sure you read it right, or you might get it wrong. If the problem says,Write in an algebraic expression: 4 times the sum of a number and 24, the answer is 4(a+24)instead of 4a+24 or 4*a+24.

AlexaW Per.6 said...

okay thank you Mr. Gerson

AlexaW Per.6 said...

all you have to do to change your screen anme is click your name and then it should give you options and you change your screen name

Kellie B Period 6 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kellie B Period 6 said...

Today in Mr. Gerson's class I learned how to get all of the variables to one side of the equation. You must add or subtract -depending on the number- the number to itself to get rid of it. And once you do, you have to do the same thing to the other side. I also learned how to translate phrases to algebraic expressions. You use the words given to figure out the equation.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MatteoMTAPer.4 said...

Do we have to justify our answers?

GiselleDPer2 said...

Today in Mr. Gerson's class, I learned that if a written algebraic expression has the word "than" in it, then the first number goes after the variable. For example:

Five less THAN a number plus three
=
(n+3)-5

And I also learned that if it does not say "than", then the first number goes before the variable. For example:

Four times the difference of a number and three
=
4*n-3

-Giselle dela Cruz
Period 2

Sean K Per.3 TA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MatteoMTAPer.4 said...

Thanks Sean.

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Yes you do Matteo.

Per 2: Giselle D.
Per 3:
Per 4: Kent Y.
Per 5:
Per 6: Kellie B.

jose c per3 said...

Journal entry #15 10/5/10 per 3

Today we talked about the homework. Then we took a lesson check. we also corrected the lesson check.I learned that i have to put more attenuation to the world problem.For example on the lesson check i got all the word problems wrong.

MatteoMTAPer.4 said...

Wheres Sean Oh's journal entry?

MargauxNPer.3 said...

do we have to include justification in our homework?

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Per 2: Giselle D.
Per 3: Jose C.
Per 4: Kent Y.
Per 5:
Per 6: Kellie B.

®¥Ώ Ⓣ. ℙĕ®. ④ said...

@Margaux
yes we do

GiselleBPer2 said...

So is that our only homework? I am confused...

Anonymous said...

Today in class, we did our second lesson check of the week. I did a lot better today, than yesterday. I did better today because i actually read the problems. i learned that writing out the justification helps. It helps because when I don't justify it, i tend skip a few steps and get the problem wrong. Now, I read the problem and try to skip fewer steps.

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Per 2: Giselle D.
Per 3: Jose C.
Per 4: Kent Y., Kevin K.
Per 5:
Per 6: Kellie B.

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

@ Matteo Sean is not putting his entry up today he's doing that tomorrow i think...

EmilyPrestwoodPer.6 said...

how do i get the study guide thats due on October 12th?

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Yeah, today 4th period is kent and kevin, who have already posted.
Also, Kevin, you need to change yout screen name.

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Natasha, do you think we should change our names, like I did? I think it would help, and it looks cooler. :)

GiselleBPer2 said...

Natasha,could you answer my question please

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

@Giselle
Yes, beacause you are in period 2, you do the Per. 2 assignment only.

MarcusC Per6 said...

Today in 6th period, I once again failed at the lesson check because I once again forgot which order to put my steps in (ex. simplifying after using a property). After the lesson check, I tried to remember that you always have to CLT/Simplify after I use the addition property of equality, multiplication property, or etc.

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

Wow really Sean???? fine i'll do that ...later when i feel like it :P

GiselleBPer2 said...

uh...thanks Sean... p.s. Marcus, nice'honest' comment

GiselleBPer2 said...

its ok Natasha...

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Per 2: Giselle D.
Per 3: Jose C.
Per 4: Kent Y., Kevin K.
Per 5:
Per 6: Kellie B., Marcus C.

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

Happy?

®¥Ώ Ⓣ. ℙĕ®. ④ said...

um i have a question to people who have mr milligan for science do we have to do study guide b pg 1-15?
(sorry for questioning something unrelated to this class)

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Yes, yes I am.

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

Mr. Gerson the American Math Challenge registration has opened! Sadly the website doesn't work for chrome all you get is an "under constution" link :P - now i'm gonna have to use firefox sucks.....

SeanOPer.4 said...

@matteo and natasha yes u guys made me do it tomm. =_=

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

tomm??? what is that?

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

wait scratch what i said about chrome not working for the challenge the webpage is finally up :P

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

uhh, tommorow? Get with the program Natasha. :P

EmilyPrestwoodPer.6 said...

could u plz help me????????

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

sorry >.< never heard of that text before.....

Anonymous said...

Today I learned that when you write down an algebraic expression, it has to be in the correct order or else it's wrong. For example, if it says 24 less than half a number, you have to write n/2-24. If you write 24-n/2 it's wrong because the commutative property doesn't apply to subtraction.

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

Nathan change your display name

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Per 2: Giselle D.
Per 3: Jose C., Nathan D.
Per 4: Kent Y., Kevin K.
Per 5:
Per 6: Kellie B., Marcus C.

It seems like Eric is taking the day off.

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

haha so true .....

Eric X. Per. 3 TA said...

not. :P Guess what? I'm doing math.

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

:O of course xD

Eric X. Per. 3 TA said...

hmmm...
USA Ambassador for World Math Day 2011
Up to 5 students will be selected from the top ranking students to represent Team USA as Ambassadors for World Math Day 2011. At least 2 of these students will be from MATHCOUNTS schools.

...looks like I won't be taking a trip to NY this year... :D (not that I would anyway)
Well, I guess good luck to all, and is everyone participating in our school this time (so we have a better chance)?

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

well you could have last year if you actually wanted >.> i personally don't think they'll choose the usa ambassador from calle again this year thou...sadly

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

Oh and by the way if you want to participate you better not be like SOME people last year who signed up, didn't even do a single match and lowered the average by ALOT. so only sign up if you know you'll be on the whole entire time and you spend a lot of time on the computer like me and eric :P

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Yeah, but don't obsessed like Yen and wake up at like 4 to do math.

Eric X. Per. 3 TA said...

You mean do mental arithmetic. xD

Wait, so is Mr. Gerson registering everyone? Is everyone part of the average, or is it just like the top 20 or so people?

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

Awww i was gonna be like Yen though D: jk

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

read Eric, go to the site and it's the overall average not top 20 like worlds math day. And it seems like they've added a bonus round

Anonymous said...

journal
10/05/10
Per.5

Today in class:

We had a lesson check.
I learned [more on solving equations].
Before Mr.Gerson asked algebra question for student.
Student write a answer for white board.

JennaM.Per.4 said...

Do we have to solve problems 35-41 or just write them??

Sean K Per.3 TA said...

Per 2: Giselle D.
Per 3: Jose C.
Per 4: Kent Y., Kevin K.
Per 5: Marina K.
Per 6: Kellie B., Marcus C.

Eric X. Per. 3 TA said...

umm...I'm pretty sure in Algebra, you have to solve problems, not just write them out...

Eric X. Per. 3 TA said...

Oh, and Sean, you forgot Nathan.

Per 2: Giselle D.
Per 3: Jose C. | Nathan D.
Per 4: Kent Y. | Kevin K.
Per 5: Marina K.
Per 6: Kellie B. | Marcus C.

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...

why is it always 5th per who is always missing someone?

Natasha L Per.4 TA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.