September 15, 2009

Chapter 1: Table of Properties

1. Change display name for posting to the blog.
2. Complete the Chapter 1: Table of Properties.
  • Copy the algebraic way from the book.
  • Make a numeric example.
  • Create a mnemonic to help you remember the properties. BE CREATIVE!
If you lose your worksheet, print a copy from etusd.

113 comments:

Ryan C Per 6 said...

For Algebraic Definition of Subtraction/Division, are we suppose to write out a definition or are we suppose to do it like the other ones?

Mr. Gerson said...

Leave the two under definitions for me to do with you.

Ryan C Per 6 said...

ok ty

Anthonyl per3 said...

ok so how would you do addition property of equallity? i know its a+c=b+c but how would you do it in numerical form?

Mr. Gerson said...

First, it only works if a = b, right? Pick a number for each variable. Then substitute them into your equation.

Anthonyl per3 said...

so maybe a=3,b=3, c=5 like that so it would say

3+5=3+5?

Mr. Gerson said...

Anthony, yes.

Anthonyl per3 said...

ok thanks mr gerson i understand now thanks

Tim J. Per 6 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sameri per.6 said...

do you have any links for a site that would have our algebra book?

sameri per.6 said...

do you have a link to a website that would have the book on it

Mr. Gerson said...

Samer, etusd has a link to the Prentice Hall website for our textbook, but I do not think it will be helpful unless you are ordering a book.

Tim, see above.

taylor h per.6 said...

im just trying something to c if the new display name works

taylor h per.6 said...

heyy can someone please explian to me how the divisive identity works that was really confusing to me and i had some trouble with that

thanks!!

natashadper2 said...

i tried to change my username and it didnt let me do that username because i already used it

Anonymous said...

i have been talking with my friends to see if they could help with the mnemoric thingy and every body i called and myself could not come with anything to relate to it. so alot of people i know in per 4 dont know what to do. we just cant come up with stuff

AllisanAper2 said...

im just trying to see if the new display name works! i think i did it :)

natashadper2 said...

does anyone know what the divisive identity is

Tim J. Per 6 said...

oh.
never mind.

Tim J. Per 6 said...

By the way, thank you mr. gerson.

Yo Han Seol said...

I just sign up.

Yo Han Seol said...

i also finished my homework!

Nomaanh per5 said...

I can't find divisive identity

natashadper2 said...

just checking something

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson, do we need to do the last four properties (the eqaulity ones)? And do you have one more example for the mnemonic column? I can't think of any :(

taylor h per.6 said...

omg me toooooooo thats the one im having trouble with!!!! (divisive identity

Tariq M. Period 4 said...

i need help with divisive equality and subtraction equality

Eric X. Per. 3 TA said...

Tariq, the subtraction property of equality is if a=b, then a-c=b-c.
The division one is if a=b, then a/c=b/c.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone come up with a mnemonic? Nobody has come up with yet.

isabellasper2 said...

im checking fab pic

ZahaSPer5 said...

Just checking the display name :D

natashadper2 said...

just checking somethinke

Anonymous said...

first time on. kinda cool :)

Mr. Gerson said...

I'll show you another funny one tomorrow. My favorite one though was from a girl last year who came up with connecting popular songs to each property. It was SUPER awesome. This is about being creative. It could be musical, artistic, etc. It is about you remembering what the properties mean on next week's test.

Mr. Gerson said...

Jake, you should be communicating with everyone here, so everybody can benefit from a collective opportunity for growth.

isabellasper2 said...

just checkin

Tariq M. Period 4 said...

thanks eric

taylor h per.6 said...

i need help with the divisive identity

Anthonyl per3 said...

the divisitive property is on page 10 and its at the very bottom of that page

Anonymous said...

Checking Display name!

ZahaSPer5 said...

Im having trouble with some of the mnemonics, I just can't think of anymore..

Yo Han Seol said...

hey eric so we dont need to do the definition thing right

Corie AnnRper2 said...

mr.gerson...so the definition ones on the back your going to do with us in class cause i honestly don't get. i need you to help me with it.

Unknown said...

Homework's done and out of the way...

Anonymous said...

I cant Find Inverse Of an Inverse Please HELP ME! :(

Mr. Gerson said...

Corie Ann, that's what I said.

SyaraS.per5 said...

I can't think of any mnemonics....!

SyaraS.per5 said...

Hey Mr.Gerson!!

taylor h per.6 said...

omg thanks soo much anthonyl that help a bunch!! lol thanks

CaseyEperiod5 said...

who wants to help me come up with mnemonics??!! :]

Unknown said...

how do you put pictures

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have at least one different mnemonic? I just need an example to get me started because I can't think of ANYTHING.

Corie AnnRper2 said...

Oh ok thanks....wow this blog thing is so awesome!!!

Tim J. Per 6 said...

Cheez it(nick), the inverse of an inverse is on pg. 67 in the middle in a baige color box.

Anonymous said...

Corie Ann! Do u have any mnemonics????!!!!

Anonymous said...

THANKS TIMMMMM!!M!M!M!M!M!M

Anonymous said...

Tim! do you have any mnemonics??

Ryan C Per 6 said...

A mnemonic i did was for a+0=a (leapfrog)
I drew a person jumping over another person that represents the 0. The person jumping over the person representing the zero would represent the A variable.

(example)
A+0=A
----------------->
(Person) (Another Person) (Person)
A Zero A

Tim J. Per 6 said...

No problem nick.

Yeah i do Rachel.
I cant give you the "answers" cuz i'm scared mr. gerson might think it's plagarizing. (x
But i can help you with it i guess if you dont understand.

Tim J. Per 6 said...

Ryan has a good example rachel.

Ryan C Per 6 said...

Hope mine helps XD

SyaraS.per5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim J. Per 6 said...

It probably does. (x

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ryan that helped a lot.

Anonymous said...

Okayy. Thanks you guys ;)
((Tim- I dont think that mr gerson would get mad if you gave me one example like ryan. haha))

Tim J. Per 6 said...

Oh and example!
i could do that for you. (x
umm..
let's see...
my mnemonic for -(-n) was...
i just imagine the paranthesis is a house. The negative and n in the "house" are friends. The negative sign(inside) and the n "invite" the negative sign(outside) to join them in the house. Then the negative sign(outside) connects with the negative sign(inside) and creates a positive sign.
SOOOOO....
it equals, -(-n)= +n.
Not as simple as ryans but complicated stuff work for ME. (x
hope it could help. (x

Anonymous said...

I have a mnemonic for associative property. Ok So To associate with someone is to group up. thats what i put.

Natasha L Per.4 said...

I need help thinking of a mnemonic for the addition property of equality.

Tim J. Per 6 said...

Nick's is a shorter and better one then mine. (x

Ryan C Per 6 said...

Oh, for that one, i did two guns (for the negative signs)pointed at a person, and when they fire, the bullets hit each other and ricochet somewhere else so the guy lives, which makes it positive N
Negative signs=Guns
N=Guy

-(-n)
(gun)(gun)(guy)
(-)(-)(n)

Hope this helps.

sameri per.6 said...

thank you

LindseyOper4 said...

just seeing if I changed my display name

EvaSper4 said...

Just trying something

Anonymous said...

Hope This Brightens Your Day!
Today, We got our Social Studies homework back, on the top I had doodled a picture of aliens attacking New York, I then relised that my teacher had drawn several dinosars eating my aliens "I Win" was written in red grading pen next to the picture. Best teacher ever. MLIA

Anonymous said...

Okay. I understand all the examples and things. But how does leapfrog and houses and guns remind you of like associative and identity and the other properties? It just seems like one more thing you have to memorize.

sameri per.6 said...

haha

Anonymous said...

Wow Nick you lost to your history teacher. lol.

Anonymous said...

Average word of the day:lock Today I turned 11. I did not receive a letter from Hogwarts. MLIA

Anonymous said...

I need one for divisive and multiplicative of 0 and then im done. ;p

Ryan C Per 6 said...

Rachel, i think it is easier to memorize stuff if its in picture, so maybe that's why Mr. gerson is making us do it in both writing and drawing, because some people work better with picturs, while others work better with writing.

kathleentper6 said...

could someone give another example of a Mnemonic
thanks

Anonymous said...

Today, I wore Axe body spray. I wasn't tackled by any women. MLIA.
Have Fun With Mnemonics im done.

Tim J. Per 6 said...

Ryan, which rachel are we talking to anyways? o.O

AmandaRPer6 said...

Seeing if the display name works

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wasnt drawing pictures....oops ;P.
Tim your talking to Rachel Elkin.
lol.
I came up with one for multiplicative property of 0 ;)
now im happy lol. (:

Ryan C Per 6 said...

Kay, GN people

Anonymous said...

just checking something

KatieK Per 5. said...

I'm having some trouble finding a few of the properties on the back side of the page. I looked through the index and I can't find it. Could you tell me where I could find them?

Anonymous said...

Peace Ryan

Anonymous said...

Katie look in chapter 3 ;)

MichelleYPer6 said...

Mr. Gerson,
I don't get the Divisive Identity.

Nick M.Per3 said...

i think it worked

Anonymous said...

um only the stuff in chapter on? not the whole page rite cus i cant find the other stuff.

AmandaRPer6 said...

Seeing if the name works

KatieK Per 5. said...

I already found the multiplying one and the adding one and the Inverse one but I can't find the other 2. Where is it???

AmandaRPer6 said...

Seeing if the display name works.

Anonymous said...

I cant find subtraction and division either ;(

KatieK Per 5. said...

The internet doesn't even have it!!! DX

Tim J. Per 6 said...

OHHHH.
hey rachel. (:
i thought it was rachel pyon. (x

Tim J. Per 6 said...

Katie and rachel, what cant you find?

Tim J. Per 6 said...

Katie and rachel, what cant you find?

ZahaSPer5 said...

I can't think of a mnemonic for the property of multiplicative inverses! I NEED HELP!!!!

KatieK Per 5. said...

I can't find the Property of Negative one and Inverse of a Sum Property

Tim J. Per 6 said...

Katie, the negative thing is on 93 and the sum is on 94.
Hope it helps.

monicahper5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KatieK Per 5. said...

Oh my god!! Thank you!!! XD

Anonymous said...

Kk thanks ;)
im outt. tlk to u tm ;p

Mr. Gerson said...

Ryan, I really like the leapfrog example!

Tim, good visualization.

Nick, AXE is not a "substitute" for a shower. Substitute is one of tomorrow's vocab words. Now, try to keep your posts related to ALGEBRA. Thanks.

Reijeanne R. Per. 6 CMMS 2010 said...

Hi Mr. Gerson!
Just wanted to make sure that my display name was fixed..I just changed it. See you tomorrow! (:

-Reijeanne R. Period 6

BryanL Per. 4 said...

Is there anywhere we can find a copy of all of the definitions you reviewed today, Mr. Gerson? BTW, i did it! YAY!

Miya (: said...

i can never tell if i posted my comment or not. do you have to
approved them or something like that?

- Miya Palompo Per. 4

Anonymous said...

Hi i did my homework~

sashaperiod6cmms2010 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.