October 13, 2008

Expression & Equations (CA SS: 5.0)

We no longer need to write the steps for the Identity Property of Addition (Identity Property of 0) or the Identity Property of Multiplication (Identity Property of 1).

There are 4 steps to the problems leading to equations. Make sure to include naming and labeling the variable.

p.133 (1-15:odd,21,23,25,28)

#28 is a GATE level problem. If you can complete it with all of the steps and present it in class, leave me a comment this evening on the blog. You do not need to do any of the other problems. A gift to those of you who check the blog everyday and make comments. If you cannot do it, you can choose to skip it.

Summaries: Micaela T. (Per. 1), Hanna J. (Per. 2), Raul R. (Per. 3), Yuta F. (Per. 4), Alex R. (Per. 5), Reanna C. (Per. 6)

38 comments:

Mr. Gerson said...

"I am going to do #28" or "I am going to skip #28" is fine. You choose, and you will get credit. Thank you for keeping up with the blog.

JiangoBoy said...

i did #28. Are you sure its GATE level? it seems pretty easy. oh, and i finished all the problems in class, so UGh, i did 11 extra problems!

matthew j.
period 1

Anonymous said...

I was able to do number 28

christian w. per.1

Carl K said...

Soo if we do #28 we dont have to do any other problems???

Carl K
Period 4

ZornRockman said...

mr. gerson i did number 28


Chris Z
Per 5

Unknown said...

Mr. Gerson, for number 28, do we solve it the same way we solve all the other problems?

Brett S.
per.4

Anonymous said...

On the Expressions and Equations lesson, i was shown how I learned Writing Expressions lesson in a more advanced way with adding more steps.We went over everything we did from the last lesson and added more steps to each expression we did. I think one of the most important things that people forget to do most of the time, is that when you have the word "than" in an expression, it means you have to switch around the problem and not keep it the same.

Micaela T
period 1

*dreamstar* said...

I solved #28, but I did not write an equation. Are we supposed to? I can still show the class the way I did it though...

Shiloh Per. 3

Anonymous said...

I think the answer to #28 is just 60 divided by 3 + 120 which is 140 customers an hour.


Forrest P
P.5

Anonymous said...

So you mean because we check the blog, we don't have any math homework today or is that only if we do #28?

Saloni B.
Period 1

Anonymous said...

for people who did it and are not gate level can we see if the answer is right even if we did not do all the steps?




kacie o.
per.2

Anonymous said...

i think it is cool that if you can do #28 thats all u have 2 do from garrett t

Anonymous said...

i want to try #28 but i have a question: do we have to do it the way we did the problems on our notes today or can we make a table or picure sort of thing?

Jerry M
priod 3

Anonymous said...

im going to do #28

karine y.
per. 3

Anonymous said...

I did #28.

Evan Ricks
Period 1

Anonymous said...

I have done #28. We need it in the form of finding and labeling the variable, and then solving right?

Shreyas T.
P.2

Unknown said...

Mr. Gerson... for number 28 when it says "how many customers can they serve in an hour".... does that mean by themselves or together?

Brett S.
per.4

Anonymous said...

so if i do only #28 i dont have to do the rest of the questons??

kevin s
period 2

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Gerson
I think I want to do #28 in class tomorrow.
Eric C.
per. 2

Anonymous said...

mr gerson, i did #28, but i dont know if its right. what if i present it to the class and i get the answer wrong? do i still get the credit?

Hannah p
Per.5

Anonymous said...

If we do number 28, do we have to write an equation for it, or do we just have to find the answer???

Dahnby J.
Per. 2

Anonymous said...

hey mr gerson.
is the answer for #28 140 costmers per minute so i can check my answer?

kevin s
period 2

Anonymous said...

actually... nevermind.... i dont think i can do it in the way that you want us to... i figured it out in a different way though....

karine y.
per. 3

Anonymous said...

#38 was super easy i want to show the class



blake a
per 2

Anonymous said...

hello!! mr gerson are you there???
kevin s
period 2

Anonymous said...

So basically, #5 is optional?


kylie a.
per. 3

Anonymous said...

mr gerson
i think i got the problem right but i dont know so i am just going to just do all the work anyways
but thanks for posting the coment about #28

Lena M
Period 1

Anonymous said...

At today's lesson, we learned how to write an equations from the word problem. For example, "2 greater than the twice a number", First, you check for all the numbers you can find. for this, it is 2, 2 and n, stands for "a number". Next, find the word that shows what to do with these numbers. For this, it is "greater," which means +. Also, the word "than" makes it 2+ into +2. so the answer is 2n+2. Also, you can use this strategy into the long word problem. But, you have to write four steps, which is ①write the problem ②lable each letter use in in equation ③write the equation and ④solve.

Yuta F.
Per4

Anonymous said...

Im gonna present #28
Jonathan B. aka Giovani
Per 6

Anonymous said...

I did all the problems including #28.

Matthew J
period 4

Anonymous said...

kyle L said...
I am going to do #28.
(from period 3)

Anonymous said...

I did #28

Per1
Evan Ricks

*dreamstar* said...

Mr. Gerson- is something wrong?
I mean, no comments have been posted...I've been checking all this time and the earlier comment that I wanted posted never showed up...hope everything's ok...

Shiloh Per. 3
P.S. I am going to do #28

Anonymous said...

Today in class we learned about explaining equations and writing them out. We also learned about writing and labeling the steps.


Alex R.
Per.5

~Erica M. said...

so will we be learning about solving linear equations more in class or are we expected to know this?

Erica M.

Period 2

Mr. Gerson said...

Sorry. We are all very ill. I will read and approve comments when I am well enough to sit at the computer. Have a pleasant and peaceful night.

MichaelS1 said...

If I did all the problems and number 28 does that mean i get extra credit?

Michael S.
Per 1

flippyboy321 said...

hey mr. gerson

for todays assignment is 1-25 all or odd? just wondering because the substitute put all

Chase R.
Per. 1
10/14/08