September 20, 2008

Sample Test

Now that we have had time to take the practice test online, I am interested in finding out whether it was a good use of my time in creating it. I want to hear comments on the benefits or criticisms of having the sample test online.

At this point, only 31 of 191 students have taken advantage of the opportunity. That alone makes me question the value of having a practice test at all.

I have heard the criticism that the timer/clock was sometimes difficult to get out of the way of reading the problem.

Please post additional benefits and/or criticisms of the online system.

52 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson how do you factor the expression 12 times x plus 3 times z?

the answer they gave me was 3 times ( 4 times x plus z )
I don't understand how they got that answer.

Grant K. period 3

Anonymous said...

I think that having the pre test was good bacause the people who took it had a chance to see what they would have got on their test without studying!

Grant K. period 3

Anonymous said...

wait i just finished taking the test and now im not sure how i close it or n other words how i log out...? ~noemi

Anonymous said...

When I went on etusd and put in the number it wood not lit me in. So what should I do.

by
Matt Rockey
per. 1

Anonymous said...

On the poster, do show the different ways we found the answer?
-Saloni B.
Period 1

MichaelS1 said...

The sample test really helped me catch stupid mistakes and now i know what to study. Thanks Mr. Gerson.=)

Michael Susman
Period1

Mr. Gerson said...

Grant,

12 = 3 * 4

12x + 3z = 3*4x + 3z
= 3(4x) + 3(z)
= 3(4x + z)

Mr. Gerson said...

Saloni, it should look like the other paper only prettier.

...and colorful.

Nick said...

Grant,
the expression 12x+3z can also be written using the distributive property. What it means by "factor" is to take the greatest common factor out of the two terms 12x, and 3z. The greatest factor they share is 3. you then write the both of the terms as a number multiplied by the GCF.
4x(3)+x(3)
Then take out both threes and write the rest as a quantity
(4x+z)3
then write it how you would write it using the distributive property
3(4x+z)
-Nick H.
Period 5

Anonymous said...

Grant, your problem was 12x + 3z,
there is one number that both the numbers can be divided by ,and that number is 3.
So you must put 3 outside the ( )'s, and inside you should have
4x + z
3(4x + z)
When you distribute the 3 to check your answer, you will get what you started with in the first place,
12x + 3z.
Always remember when you factor this kind of problem, to put the number and/ or variable outside the ( )'s.
- Saloni B.
Period 1

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mr. Gerson.
- Saloni B.

Smashbrosboy said...

As you noted, the timer went on the problem...I could only see part of it...So I missed that one...So the poster just is the same problem...but in color?

Shreyas T.
Per. 2

*dreamstar* said...

Mr. Gerson-
Please keep posting those pre-tests! I think it's a really great study tool and it was so worth your time! Maybe everyone is doing the pre-test today or tomorrow, that's why most people haven't taken it yet... but please don't stop posting them before tests!

Shiloh S. Per. 3

Anonymous said...

thanks for putting the pre-test up i really know what i have to study for the test on monday.i really appreciated it Mr.Gerson thank you so much!!!!



Kendall b.
per.5
9/20/08

Anonymous said...

i can't take that CHAPTER 1 SAMPLE TEST...

*dreamstar* said...

I don't know why you guys couldn't see the problem... The timer moved as you moved so if you scrolled up, it should have moved up too. That means if you couldn't see the problem, you should've scrolled up the page to move the timer out of the way leaving the problem you were trying to see
1. in the middle of the page and 2. free of the timer.
That's how I did it.

Shiloh S. Per. 3

Nick said...

The posters are due on Monday right?

*dreamstar* said...

I'm having some difficulty writing an equation for #22 on page 46. Does anyone have any tips?

Shiloh S. Per. 3

Anonymous said...

the sample test was very helpful and im glad that i did it! now im prepared for the real thing! thank you so much!

♥karine y.
per. 3

JiangoBoy said...

that sucked. i wouldve gotten them all right but for number 3 it said what number would make this equation true and there was no equation!! after i submitted the equation just popped out and said i was incorrect. but i still got a 95%

matthew j
period 2

Anonymous said...

mr.gerson,i think that the pretest helped a lot..now i know what to go over and study.can you post the pretests for every chapter? :D

sara p.
period 6

Mr. Gerson said...

Shiloh, I did not ask for an equation for #22. That would be crazy!

*dreamstar* said...

Ok! Thank you! I had no idea how to write an eqution for that one... :)

Shiloh S. Per. 3

Anonymous said...

oh~
I thought we have to write an equation for #22 on page 46.

Seowoo J
per.5

Anonymous said...

That pretest was really easy.
I agree with Shiloh that you should give these pretests before our test.
- Saloni B.
Period 1

Anonymous said...

mr. gerson,

i think you should keep posting pre-test. they help you get prepared for whats going to be on the test. it's like your own personal study guide online. i now know what i have to study i figured out all the stupid mistakes i have been making.

Micaela T.
period 1

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson,

I'm trying to take the test, but it won't let me take it. I tried to unblock the popup, but that still didn't work..

Tayler B.
Period 3

Anonymous said...

Nevermind, I got it to work. I liked it, it prepares you really well for the test to come. I like that idea.

Tayler B
Period 3

Anonymous said...

So is the poster due on monday?

Shreyas T.
P.2

Mr. Gerson said...

yes

Mr. Gerson said...

Students attempting the sample test: 62

~Erica M. said...

I think that the pretest was very helpful in terms for the test tomorrow. Thank you for creating it and helping us.

Erica M.
Period 2

Anonymous said...

i figured it out ♥ =)

noemi c

Anonymous said...

Mr.Gerson is the test on monday?

Hyun P. Per.6

Anonymous said...

Omg, i still have ten minutes left to take my test and it won't open!!!!

mandi j.
period 3

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson,

For #22 on the homework, is the 8-day trip there and back, or is it 8 days there, then 8 more days back? Also, is the 5-day supply of water for the one person carryingit, or is it for everyone? I asked my mom for help, and she doesn't understand it either..

Tayler B.
Per. 3

Anonymous said...

What is the pre test??

Alyssa K. period 5

Mr. Gerson said...

Tayler, everybody has a cantina. A cantina can hold 5 days of water. How can they get one person across without anyone going thirsty?

Mandi, I told you in class that if you procrastinated until Sunday, you would miss the window. You did not have 10 minutes left. Actually, you were 11 hours 50 minutes too late.

If you liked my analogy about showing your work and seeing a play like "Wicked", you should like my analogy about procrastination and late work.

Anonymous said...

Hyun, Mr. Gerson answered that question earlier today- the answer is yes.
Seowoo, for number 22 we just had to draw a picture and your choice.
- Saloni B.
Period 1

Anonymous said...

for the sample test i clicked allow pop-ups for eTUSD and it still wont let me take it. A little screen comes up and then goes away.

Jessica R.
per. 3

Anonymous said...

For the 4 problems we solve, do they need to be in color and ink, or can they be in pencil?

Shreyas T
P.2

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson, the pre test really helped because it showed me what grade I would get if i didn't study. I think you should keep on giving out these pre tests before the real test so that we can know what work on. Thank you!!!

Jennifer L.
Pd. 2

Nick said...

Are the problems on the pretest the same as the problems that are going to be on the test or are they different?
-Nick H.
Period 5

Anonymous said...

I finally were able to get in - but the test closed at 12:00 AM Sunday and we didn't get until 4:40PM ... so I could not take the sample test.

Anthony V.
Period 4

Anonymous said...

Do we have to write the problem on the poster?

Emma H.
per 1

Mr. Gerson said...

This is what I said in class:

The assignment is Friday's homework. I will leave it up Saturday just in case someone has a big family thing Friday. If you wait until Sunday morning, you will miss the window.

Procrastination is rarely rewarded. Waiting until Sunday to figure out what you do not know might work in chapter 1, but not in later chapters.

Anonymous said...

the sample test was really cool. i did it on friday.=)

Adam C.
P.2

Anonymous said...

I still don't really understand how to solve the problem. In class tomorrow, could you explain the steps to figure it out? I need help with it.

Tayler B.
Per .3

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson,
Even with the help you gave Taylor for number 22, my parents and I still don't understand it.

- Saloni B.
Period 1

HADEN OLI said...

Mr.Gurson, I went on but i was not able to do the test am I going to get points taken off for not being able to see the entire test, let alone do it?

Mr. Gerson said...

Told you many of you would get it wrong. We are learning about reasoning strategies and THINKING.

Do your best, and we will see how many figured it out.

Unknown said...

Mr. Gerson:

Awesome blog site. Impressive. Most impressive. But you are not a Jedi yet. I think that is coming soon though! Well done and congrats!

Swiger