September 18, 2008

Writing Expressions (CA SS: 5.0)

Today we will start posting our summaries. People were chosen in class, and there should only be one summary per period.

Some questions you might consider when writing a summary:
What was most important about the lesson?
What property or step is being practiced?
How do you do that important step?
Do not mention me or anyone else from class in your summary.

Period 1: p.30 (6-35:all)
Period 2-6: p.30 (7-35:odd)

56 comments:

Potato Man said...

Hi I just wanted to see my picture. Thank You Mr. Gerson

Anonymous said...

Do we need to write summaries for all the notes or just the notes today?


-AntonG per. 1

Anonymous said...

Here is the summary:

In todays lesson writing expressions, all you had to do was take the operation and plug it in where the and was. The rest was just about how to put in the parentheses, inserting the variable and number or variable.
Another part of the lesson was the same thing but in easier words. If you need help with what the terms mean you can look at your notes from the first day of Gerson's class.

From,
Amber S.
Period 4

Anonymous said...

I had a question on number 15.

the problem says,"the sum of r and s"
so i put down s+r.

the answer in the back of book says r+s.

why do we switch the numbers??

Micaela T
period 1

Anonymous said...

The most important part in the lesson is knowing all of the words that replace x, -, +, and the dividing one. You replace x, -, +, and the dividing one with words like more than, less than, product, and quotient.

EX The product of a number and 10
first you move the times signwhere and is. then you turn number into a to get
Nx10
David Servatius
period 2

Potato Man said...

Now did my picture show up?

Do I need my name? Its my profile name.
Austin C.
Per. 2

ZornRockman said...

mr. gerson do we print out the worksheet and do it then check our answers?
For Math Counts

Chris Z
Per. 5

Anonymous said...

I know I'm not the person has to publish a summary today, but do we submit it here for everyone to see?
Just want to check.
-Saloni B.
Period 1

Mr. Gerson said...

Chris, type that question into the forum in the MathCounts course, k? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Michaela, you switch it around when there is a problem like 8 more than 3 or 5 added to 1. Problems like that. On the problem you said the sum of r and s- it's just straight forward r + s.

Anonymous said...

Mr.Gerson, I just wanted to know what type of marks did you say you wanted for us to put on the homework. ( page 30 all of the odds )

Grant K. period 3

Anonymous said...

mr gerson, or anybody, if im in period 5, do i have to do all the problems for homework? it says just per.1 do all on the blog. But i already did all the problems!

Hannah P.
Per.5

ZornRockman said...

when i tried it wouldn't let me use the forum. What do i do?


Chris Z
Per 5

Mr. Gerson said...

Chris, I added stuff that should fix that. Thanks.

Mr. Gerson said...

The blog is up-to-date and correct.

Anonymous said...

Grant


it pg. 30

7 through 35 odd. k?


kacie o. per. 2

Anonymous said...

Thanks Saloni.

Micaela T
period 1

Anonymous said...

the homework today was easyyy for me. =]
wait.. so everyone has to write a summary even though they aren't the ones that got picked to post it on the blog?? ( i wrote one anyway =)] answer my question pleasee ...someone.

noemi c. period 2

*dreamstar* said...

Noemi- Everyone has to right a summary, every day, about the day's notes. So it's good that you wrote it already!

Shiloh S. per. 3

MichaelS1 said...

Do you write the word problems out for nubers 29-35?=)

*dreamstar* said...

GRANT!

Look at the summarys that Amber and David S. wrote... try and decipher what they are saying.

Shiloh S. Per 3

Anonymous said...

hannah, we only have to do the odds

valerie a

Anonymous said...

I think that having someone write a summary and then post it on the Blog is great. Especially if you are sick one day, its almost like you were in class that day!

James B.
Period 2

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gerson or any one that can answer this Q, on number 22 do the words divide among mean to just divide or somthig else???

thanks
lena
period 1

James said...

Can I use this account? Could you post this so I can see? And on Blogger, how do you change your picture?

James B.
Period 2

Anonymous said...

Mr.Gerson do we have to wright the question for the homework on numbers 29-35




-WyattV per.1

Anonymous said...

Does anyone check the summary?

-Zoya
Per. 3

Jacob C. said...

so basicaly for #7-28 on page 30 (part of our homework) its just putting it weather its just writting that its plus or minus? Ex. "the sum of r and s"

Anonymous said...

I like the summary Amber.
nice, it helped me even though I did not need help.
:]
Julia S.
Per-4

*dreamstar* said...

James- to change the picture on your profile:
1. Sign on if you aren't already(there is a 'sign on' button on the top right hand corner of the main Algebra Bulldog page). If you do that, it should send you straight to your profile.
2. If you are already signed on, click on one of your previous comments where it says 'james' in blue.
3. Once you click on that, go to 'edit profile'. Then say 'edit photo' which is next to the blank picture of a head.
4. After that, you have to find the picture you want then save it in a file. Then come back and click 'browse'. Your file should be there with the picture in it. Click on the file and then say open. The picture will load onto the page. The last step is to go to the bottom of the same page and say 'save profile'. Wow, that was a lot of writing! I hope this answers everyone's questions about setting a picture.

Shiloh S. Per. 3

Anonymous said...

I am still not sure about writing the word problem out.

kacie o.
per. 2

Anonymous said...

Nice summary Amber!

-Shivani S.
Period 4

Anonymous said...

hey shilo, did u work the problems out?



kacie o.
per. 2

James said...

Yeah! Thanks Shilo!!! I love my ne picture. The Beatles rock!!!

James B.
Period 2

Anonymous said...

wait for the summarys do we write them for just today or the whole week??? please tell me??!!

Lena
Period 1

Anonymous said...

very awsome summeries david and amber! that helped me on the r+s problem thanks!

kacie o. per. 2

Anonymous said...

Kacie,
i think u have to write it out.
kevin s.

Anonymous said...

Here's my summary for 9/18/08...

Writing Expressions: Why they are fun!

The lesson for today was fairly easy in my opinion. The lesson was short, and many people learned how to do find the answers very quickly in my class. First, you must find out what type of math you are doing. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, or maybe division? Second, you add that type of math onto the two numbers(or variables) you were given and you solve the problem. Easy, I know! Although you know how to write expressions, make sure to line up your equal signs!!!!

Well, there's my summary. It sounded better in my head....

Tim M.
Period 6

:D

Anonymous said...

The beatles????!!!!! they rock how did u get that james? are there different beatles pics. so i can go on the blog to know which is mine.

kacie o.
per. 2

Anonymous said...

Amber and David's summaries help me to write my own summary ~~
Thanks ~~~
Seowoo J
per.5

*dreamstar* said...

That's such an awesome picture James!!!!

Shiloh S. Per. 3

*dreamstar* said...

Lena- we write a different summary every day. Not just one for the whole week. And yeah Kacie, I do know how to work the problems out. Which one in particular?

Shiloh S. Per. 3

Anonymous said...

Amber and David's summaries help me out with my summary~~~
THANKS^^
Seowoo J
per.5

~Erica M. said...

so pertty much when you see the phrases *more than* or *less than* that means that you have to switch the variable and number or whatever the problem gives you. Mr. gerson, we should do one of those examples where people represent variables and numbers to help us remember things. like the associative property play that we did.
Erica M.
period 2

ZornRockman said...

Tim, Amber, and David awsome summeries that really summed up the lesson today. :)

Chris Z
Per 5

Anonymous said...

sorry shiloh i ment did u write the word problem befor answering it?

kacie o.

per. 2

MichaelS1 said...

Do we Have to right out the questions for number 29 thru 35?
Michael Susman Per.1

HADEN OLI said...

Hi I just want to see m picture. Thanks.

Haden O.

Per 2

Anonymous said...

Mr Gerson

Who is submiting summaries for period 3?

Alex De Loza
period 3

James said...

Uh.. Kacie. The Beatles are the best but I think I will change my picture all the time so no need to worry! And yeah there are tons!

James B.
Period 2

Anonymous said...

thanks shilo u rock

Lena
Period 1

Anonymous said...

Mr gerson

i have a question about mathcounts. Do you need a certain GPA to qualify?

Alex De Loza

Anonymous said...

Should I redo the summaries i already did if i mentioned mr. gerson or my classmates in them???
:(

Dahnby J.
Per. 2

Mr. Gerson said...

Sorry guys. You make me tired. I fell asleep somewhere between 8p and 9p, but hey, I'm up at 3:30a. Stock market is better than X2 at Magic Mountain.

Summaries look good.

You can't underline words or make notations above the words if you do not write the words.

Everyone's explanations to questions are right on.

Shiloh and Chris are like our algebra captains. Maybe I should get them armbands.

I like all the pics. Maybe we'll play some Beatles music after our lessons.

MathCounts is open to anybody. Participation in one of the three parts of the program does not mean that you must participate in the other parts.

I think that covers it all.

HADEN OLI said...

Mr.Gurson you have a little bit more than 225 comments on your blog.

Haden O.

Per. 2

*dreamstar* said...

Kacie- I hope it's not too late... but we do write out those problems. In fact, we write out all of them.

Shiloh S. per.3

Oh, and Mr. Gerson, I think armbands would be so cool! They should be like "shiloh, algebra captain!". :)